Academic Policies

General Information

Academic Appeals
Students placed on academic probation or suspension may appeal to the Academic Standards Committee by filing an appeal with the Registrar. The student has the right to appeal any action affecting their academic status by obtaining the appropriate form from the Registrar’s Office: Appeal of Suspension, Appeal of Probation, Grade Appeal, or General Appeal.

Academic Integrity
Students are responsible for the integrity of their academic work. Examples of academic dishonesty include but are not limited to obtaining unauthorized assistance in any academic work; cheating on a test; plagiarism; quoting without proper credit; modifying any examination, paper, record, report or project without the instructor’s approval for obtaining additional credit or an improved grade; and representing the work of others as one’s own. The instructor may recommend appropriate action to the Academic Standards Committee and the appropriate Division Academic Dean, who makes the final decision. Some of the penalties that may be imposed include: warning (written or oral); reducing the grade for the assignment, test, or project; reducing the grade for the course; assigning a failing grade for the course; dismissing the student from the course and issuing a grade of “W"; academic probation or suspension; expulsion; and recording the decision in the student’s academic record.

Academic Probation
A student who does not maintain a semester based GPA of 2.00 is placed on academic probation during the next semester of regular attendance. Academic probation is not recorded on the student’s transcript. A student may appeal academic probation by obtaining appeal information from the Registrar’s Office.

Academic Standing
Students must maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) throughout their program of study. When students receive final grades of A, B, C, D, or F, they are considered credit hours attempted and earned. W, I or IP grades earn no credits and are not considered hours completed. Transfer credit hours accepted by Diné College are not calculated in the CGPA to determine satisfactory progress.

Academic Status Change
When change of an “Incomplete” (I) or “In Progress” (IP) grade alters a student’s academic status, the student is notified immediately in writing of such change by the Registrar. When the changes are formally adjusted, it places the student on academic probation or suspension and the restriction is effective immediately.

Academic Suspension
A student who does not satisfactorily meet the minimal standards required during the probationary semester will be placed on academic suspension. Academic suspension means the student will not be permitted to enroll in any classes at Diné College for the semester of suspension. Upon returning, the student will be placed on academic probation until minimum standards for satisfactory progress are met. Academic suspension is not recorded on a student transcript. A student may appeal academic suspension by obtaining appeal information from the Registrar’s Office.

Access to and Confidentiality of Records
Social Security or Student Identification Numbers are used for students' identification and records only. The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, FERPA of 1974 protect the privacy of such information. The College provides access to specified official records related to the student and an opportunity to change such records if they are inaccurate while providing for the challenge of actual grades received. To ensure that their rights are upheld, students are required to file requests for non-disclosure on an annual basis if withholding of directory information is desired. Such requests will be honored for one academic year. Only the Registrar’s Office and other authorized personnel have access to student files. An authorized personnel is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

Adding Courses
Students may add classes with the instructor’s permission during the first and second week of the semester by completing a Drop/Add form available at the Registrar’s Office or the respective regional office. Students are expected to submit the form and obtain a new schedule to make the action official. This includes reinstatement after an instructor drop.

Students must declare their intent to audit a course on the registration form at the time of registration and the course will be entered as an Audit. Audited courses earn no credit or grade. Auditors are not permitted to change course enrollment to receive credit, or vice versa, after the close of the Drop/Add period. Auditors must comply with all policies established for regular students and pay tuition and fees at the same rate. The Financial Aid Office will not process any aid for applicants who are auditing course(s). (See Financial Aid Student Manual / Handbook)

Audit Grade (AU)
The AU is awarded for participation and does not indicate proficiency in the subject matter. It is not included in the GPA or CGPA.

Change of Grade
Circumstances necessitating a change of grade may include a clerical error made by the instructor or data entry personnel in preparing the grade report or the change of an “Incomplete" grade. With the exception of the “I” grade, a grade may be changed within one academic year from the time it was given. During this period, the Division Chairperson or the Regional Director and the appropriate Division Academic Dean must approve the grade change before the grade is recorded on the transcript.

Class Attendance
Students are expected to attend class. Instructors must announce and publish attendance requirements for each class and have final authority to excuse students from class; however, once an instructor excuses a student, he/she must not penalize the student for the approved absence. Conflicts about excused or unexcused absences must be resolved between the student and the instructor.
Students assume responsibility for all absences and must make arrangements with their instructors to make up work. The instructor may drop students with excessive absences from a course. Students have the option to appeal such drops to the appropriate Division Chair and Academic Dean.

Course Load
The normal course load is twelve 12 to sixteen 16 credits each semester. A course load of twelve 12 credits is the minimum permitted for full-time student status. Students wishing to enroll for 17 or more credits, up to twenty-one 21 credit hours per semester must have approval from their advisor and petition the appropriate Division Academic Dean for approval to carry an overload. The student must have a 2.50 GPA the prior semester in order to petition. Under no circumstances may a student enroll for more than 21 credits in one semester. Credits earned through Credit by Examination (CLEP) are not counted in this limitation.

Course Change or Cancellation
Diné College reserves the right to change or cancel without notice any scheduled course or to change the day, time, location, or instructor of any course.

Students who are currently enrolled in Diné College may apply for credit-by-examination in certain courses by contacting the appropriate Division Academic Dean. The Registrar and the Division Chairperson must also grant permission. Students may not petition to challenge a course a second time, nor may they take an exam for a course in which they have previously enrolled. Each academic division may have additional qualifications. Students must register for examinations by the end of the fourth week of classes. Students at the Regional Sites may need to take the exam at the Tsaile Campus. Students must pay for the cost of the examination and the tuition fees, which are
non-refundable. The exam and other division requirements must be passed with a grade of A, B, or C for credit to be given. A notation of “Credit by Examination” is placed on the transcript. The grade is included in the total earned credit hours but is not computed in the total grade point average. Students should note that Diné College's credit by examination may not transfer to other colleges and universities.

Definition of Semester Hour
Diné College operates on a 16 weeks, two-semester system, with summer sessions. All credits earned are expressed in semester hours. A completed semester hour represents a total of 15 contact hours per semester.

Dropping Courses
Students dropping a course beginning the third week of the semester will pay a $2 fee for processing the Drop form. It is the student’s responsibility to drop a course.

     • The student may drop courses by completing a Drop/Add form available from the Registrar’s Office or the
respective site.
     • The Drop/Add form must be signed by the instructor of the class and the student’s advisor.Completed Drop/Add forms must be returned to the Registrar’s Office or to the respective Sites for processing by the drop deadline date. (See Academic Calendar.)
     • A course dropped in the first two weeks of the semester will not appear on a student’s transcript.
     • A grade of “W” will be recorded for all classes dropped beginning the third week of the semester.
     • Residential students dropping below 12 at any time during a semester lose eligibility for campus housing. Any appeals to this must be submitted to Residence Life.
     • Students receiving financial aid must check with the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office for continued financial aid eligibility.
     • Any student who discontinues a course at any time without officially dropping the course is subject to a grade of “F.”

Drop by Instructor
An instructor may drop a student prior to the last two weeks of the semester, not including final exam week. The appropriate Division Academic Dean must approve instructor drops instituted after the eighth week of the semester. Instructor drop cards must be returned to the Office of Records and Admissions by the instructor or division secretary for processing and must include the reason(s) for the drop. After an instructor has dropped the student, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office and Residence Life are notified. A student may appeal an instructor drop by submitting a Grade Appeal to the appropriate Division Chair and Academic Dean. The student will be responsible for payment of tuition and reinstatement fee.

Enrollment Status
The number of credit hours carried per semester indicates a student enrollment status. A full-time student carries 12 or more credits per semester and must complete 24 credits in an academic year. A three-quarter time student carries 9 to 11 credits per semester and must complete 18 credits in an academic year. A half-time student carries 6 to 8 credits per semester and must complete 12 credits in an academic year. Students who have earned less than 32 credit hours are classified as freshmen. Students with more than 32 credit
hours and no more than 72 credit hours are classified as sophomores.

Final Examinations
Final examinations are given at the end of each semester. Students must take their final examinations during the scheduled time period. Students who fail to take final examinations may receive a failing grade and jeopardize their academic status.

Grade Point Average System
Grade Point Average (GPA) refers to the average grade at any particular time during, or at the end of, any particular semester. It is determined by the total number of credits divided by quality points earned. Quality points are figured as follows: A = 4 quality points, B = 3 quality points, C = 2 quality points, D = 1 quality point, and F = 0 quality points. For instance, if a student receives an A in ENG 101 (3 credits x 4 quality points = 12), B in MTH 110 (3 credits x 3 quality points = 9), and C in PSY 111 (3 credits x 2 quality points = 6), that person's GPA would be 3.00 (27 total quality points divided by 9 credits = 3.00). The Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is the average for all courses taken at the college. It is computed by taking the sum of all quality points earned while in attendance at Diné College divided by the sum of all eligible credit hours earned. The following rules are considered in computing the CGPA:

     • Courses that are repeated are counted only once for credit and the CGPA; however, all repeated courses appear on the student's transcript.
     • The higher grade is used for computing the CGPA whenever a course is repeated.
     • Certain courses can be repeated for credit and therefore are exempt from the two rules above (e.g., 099, 199, and 299 courses; students should consult with their advisor).
     • When grades of “I” or “IP” have been changed to letter grades, they are computed in the CGPA.
     • A “CR” grade is computed in the total credit hours earned, but is not included in the CGPA.
     • Individual instructors or academic divisions have specific policies and requirements for the “IP” grade. Students are advised to check each course syllabus carefully to be informed about the “IP” grade policy for courses.
     • F, a failing grade, is shown on the transcript and computed in the CGPA unless the student retakes the course and passes at which time the passing grade is entered on the transcript and the quality points are computed in the CGPA and the semester GPA.

Grade Reports and Transcripts
At the end of each semester, a grade report is issued to each student. Only final semester grades are recorded on the student’s permanent transcript record. A student may request an official transcript from the Registrar’s Office, at Tsaile Campus, via a transcript request form. The fee is $5 for each transcript processed through the mail. The Registrar’s Office does not process immediate requests for hand carried transcripts. An unofficial transcript may be given directly to the student at no charge. For admission purposes, other institutions accept only official transcripts sent directly from the College. Transcripts or any other information related to a student’s matriculation are not released if the student has an outstanding financial obligation to the College. Grades remain on transcripts unless challenged by the student. Discrepancies found which cannot be substantiated by the Records and Admissions Office must be proven by the student. The student must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing of changes in name, address, telephone number, or any other record information.

Incomplete Grade (I)
This grade indicates incomplete course work. The "I" must be converted to a grade by the end of the following regular semester, or it automatically changes to an “F.”

In Progress Grade (IP)
This grade indicates that the student has met attendance requirements and has worked continuously toward meeting the objectives of the course but must re-enroll in the course the next semester the course is offered. The IP may be given only once for the same course only in the following Developmental courses: ENG 100A and ENG 100B; FST 129, 130, 131, and 133; and MTH 011, 051, and 100.

Non-Grade Designations Credit (CR)
This grade is awarded through a challenge examination. It is included in the total earned credit hours, but is not computed in the GPA or CGPA.

Mid-term Examinations
Mid-term examinations are given mid-way thru each semester. Students must take their mid-tern examinations during the scheduled time period set up by the instructor. Students who receive a failing grade in a course must see their instructors or advisor to take necessary steps for improvement to avoid jeopardizing their academic status.

Participation in College Activities
Participation in official college activities is encouraged and allowed upon approval. The sponsor of such activities must submit a travel form to the appropriate Division Academic Dean 24 hours prior to date of travel. Students must maintain a 2.00 CGPA or better and up to date on assignments and exams in order to participate in college activities. The student must process an institutional absence form prior to departure.

Repeating Courses (R)
Students may repeat courses previously taken at the College to better their understanding or to improve their grades. A transcript shows that the course was repeated, but only the higher grade is used to compute the student’s Cumulative Grade Point Average, CGPA. Exceptions can be made for certain courses such as two courses with the same course number but different topics, i.e. 099, 199, and 299 courses. Repeating a course a student received prior financial aid for, see Financial Aid Student Manual / Handbook.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP)
The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy delineates requirements for satisfactory academic progress as well as guidelines for academic probation and academic suspension. They are:

     • Full-time students are placed on academic probation if, upon completion of 12 or more semester credit hours, they have a semester grade point average less than a “C” (2.0). If a student’s number of semester credit hours drops below 12 as a result of an IP grade, the student is still considered to be making satisfactory progress.
     • Part-time students who have accumulated 16 or more semester credit hours are placed on academic probation whenever a total of 11 or less semester credit hours of work have been attempted and a cumulative grade point average less than a “C” (2.0) is earned.
     • The Satisfactory Progress Policy applies to part-time students who have not yet accumulated a minimum of 16 semester credit hours.
     • Students on academic probation may take no more than 14 credit hours per semester unless approved by the appropriate Division Academic Dean.
     • Students placed on academic probation or academic suspensions are subject to additional regulations regarding SAP. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office for pertinent Financial Aid (SAP) regulations.

Withdrawal Grade (W)
The student may institute this grade, or the instructor may use it to indicate excessive absenteeism. In the latter case, the student has the right to appeal this status in writing to the Appropriate Division Academic Dean. See Financial Aid Student Manual / Handbook for details on Return of Title IV Repayment.

Withdrawal from the College
Students must officially withdraw from the College using a withdrawal form available from the Registrar’s Office or respective campus site. Failure to withdraw properly results in the forfeiture of any refunds, and a grade of “F” is given for each course in progress at the time of the unofficial withdrawal. Withdrawal forms must be returned to the Registrar’s Office with all of the required signatures.