Diné College Challenges Students Who Enroll for the Fall 2021 Semester With Free Spring Tuition
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 11, 2021
TSAILE, Ariz. — Diné College is offering a challenge, “The Fall 2021 Challenge,” to all students who are enrolled full-time during the Fall 2021 semester and receive a 2.0 GPA or better will receive free tuition for the Spring 2022 semester at Diné College.
“We understand the hardships that students have endured across the nation during the last year and a half. It is our responsibility to give back to the people and continue to encourage our students to complete higher education,” said Diné College President Charles “Monty” Roessel.
“The Fall 2021 semester enrollment continues on a steady climb this week and the first day of classes begins on Monday, August 16, 2021. The last day to add a course will be Friday, August 20, 2021” shared Enrollment Management Director, Priscilla Leonard.
For the Fall 2021 semester, the College is offering 361 online courses and 37 in-person courses. A Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science, and a Native American Studies minor will be offered for the first time, said Provost Geraldine Garrity.
Dinè College is currently offering a 50 percent tuition discount as well as a 50 percent residential discount for student housing for the Fall 2021 Semester. Additionally, the admission application fee, technology fee, and student activity fees are all waived.
Diné College is a four-year tribal college located on the Navajo reservation with six campuses and two microsites across Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah and primarily serves Navajo students. The school offers 20 bachelor degrees, 16 associate degrees, and 6 certificate programs. The school is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The college, established in 1968, is the first tribal college and was formerly named Navajo Community College.
The following is additional information for students with questions about the eligibility criteria for the Spring 2022 FREE tuition challenge.
1. Only those students who have enrolled, registered, participated, and successfully completed the Fall 2021 semester as a full-time student (12 or more units) will be considered. There is no separate application for the Spring 2022 Free tuition, however, all students, regardless of their financial situation should complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
2. At the end of the Fall 2021 semester, all full-time students’ grades and GPA will be reviewed by the Registrar Office.
3. A student must pass all their classes as full-time student with a letter grade of “C” or better. No Incomplete (I) or In Progress (IP) final grades or audits.
4. A student must be a degree seeking. A student with a non-degree seeking status is not eligible.
5. A student’s prior semester GPA or academic standing are not factors; only their letter grades of “C” or better in all courses (12 or more units) and successful completion of Fall 2021 courses.
We will find that many of our students will be successful in meeting the criteria. Dr. Roessel is a strong supporter of our students. This is one way to ease the financial burden of our students who have been struggling or facing hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic. Most Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCUs) are using the COVID-19 related funding and the HEERF funding to provide support to students who experience financial hardship as a result of the pandemic.